There are three possible scenarios and solutions for this. Move forward with the solution that best fits your scenario:
- The check is still at at your foundation (i.e. in your possession and hasn't been mailed).
- Solution: Void the check, and repay the voucher with the correct dollar amount.
- The check has already been mailed and you realize that you didn't pay the full amount; or if you don't want to void.
- Solution: As long as you're ok with sending two checks, you can simply pay the remaining portion with a second payment (i.e. check).
- You catch the mistake while reviewing the PDF of your checks before you've printed the actual physical check(s).
Void the Check
Pay the Remaining Portion with a Second Payment
- Click Accounts Payable.
- Click the name of the Vendor.
- Enter the remaining balance of the payment into the Apply Amount field, then click Next.
- Enter a Memo and click Create Checks.
- Select the ID of the check.
- Click Add Manually.
- Record the number of the second check and click Save.
Remove from Checkrun Batch, Delete, and Repay
- After reviewing the PDF and realizing that an incorrect amount was entered for one or more checks, click Back.
- Click Remove next to the check that needs to be removed from the batch and deleted. For this example, let's assume that the original amount on the voucher was $500, but only $50 was entered when paying the voucher.
- Click Back.
- In the New bucket, select the ID of the check that you removed from the batch.
- Click Delete.
- Click Yes to confirm delete.
- Click Pay to return to Accounts Payable and pay the full amount.
- Enter the Payment Account, Payment Date, then enter the full amount of the voucher, and click Next.
- Click Create Checks, then create a new batch, checkrun, and print the check(s).